Gestural controls, multi-touch surfaces, musical instruments, voice recognition—even brain control. Games are moving beyond the iconic hand-held controller, and into the future. But is the secret to good games found in high-tech interfaces? Kokoromi proposes that game developers can still find beauty in absolute simplicity. On March 10th, Gamma 4 will unveil brand-new games that use JUST ONE BUTTON.
Gamma 4 invites software developers to push the limits of gameplay with a single input. Game developers, media, and industry luminaries from around the world, will join the general public to view and play the Gamma 4 games at at a party that bridges the end of the Independent Games Summit and the start of the main GDC. Following the event, all the games will be playable in a dedicated booth on the GDC Expo floor. Game creators whose games are selected for presentation at Gamma 4 will also be awarded free GDC All-Access passes.
- Use a single button as your player input, in a unique or experimental way. Be creative.
- The game must be “pick up and play.”
- The official controller is the Xbox360 controller. Player input must be
assigned to the A button, which can be PRESSED or RELEASED. The Xbox360 controller is the only one used for judging, and the only one provided at Gamma.
- Your game can support any number of players up to 4. Each player may have their own controller.
- The game may run under Windows or OSX, and you must provide an installer or ZIP archive containing all files required to play.
- The game cannot rely on an internet or LAN connection (there will not be connectivity provided during the event).
- The gameplay cannot rely on audio information, since there will not be
audio output provided during the event. Non-essential audio is permitted.
- The total gameplay session must be no longer than 5 minutes, including any intros, instructions, or credits. At the end of each session, the game must return to a “start” state for the next player(s).
- The maximum game resolution is 1024×768.
- Pre-existing games will not be accepted.
- The submission deadline is Jan 31, 11:59pm Pacific time.
- To submit a Gamma4 game, visit the submission page and follow the instructions.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Are there any team size restrictions?
- No, but a maximum of 2 (TWO) GDC passes per team will be awarded.
- Are gamemakers required to travel to Gamma/GDC if their game is accepted?
- No, but the GDC passes are for creators only, and are non-transferable.
- Are there any restrictions on (development tools, who can submit, file size, gameplay)?
- If it’s not specifically restricted in the Rules, it’s permitted.
- Can an individual or team submit more than one game?
- We strongly recommend one submission per team.
- How many games will be selected for Gamma?
- We typically select only 5-7 games to showcase.